power for system

Please make a educated guess to the level of difficulty in the question you are asking.
b965122

power for system

Postby b965122 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:39 am

I am going to install a new system in my 99 alero and I need to know how to make sure I have enough power to it. First off I am going to get 2 Alpine SWX-1242D and 2 Alpine MRD-M1005 to power them and an Alpine MRP-F450 for my speakers.
Now in the past I have had problems powering my audio systems, I had 2 jl 12w3v2 powered by a 300w Rockford amp and a 200w mtx for the speakers, the system also had a 1 farad cap and an extra stinger battery wired in parallel to the car battery. And with that setup I managed to burn up 3 alternators, given the stock alt only has around 110 amps. I am just not sure what to do with my new setup 2200 watts is a lot more power then 500 and I think I will just fry my power system as it is.
Now I had my old system stolen and I just specked this system out to buy but I don’t think my car can handle it and I would like to know how to make it so my car will be able to handle it. I still have the stinger battery (the thieves were too stupid to lift it out of the holder) and I got a quote from h o alternators for a 200amp alternator for 500$. They also recommended and battery charging system cap for 150 (I don’t know if is the same as an amp cap or not). So I was wondering if get the 200amp alt and use the stinger battery will that be enough and how should I connect the second battery just in parallel like I had before because to tell u the trouth I could not tell a defrice with or without it so I think I was doing something wrong with connecting it? Also should I get a cap for the set up either the one ho alt suggest or a deferent amp cap or both?
Ty

Raz

Postby Raz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:18 am

IMO caps are bandaids. They only do good if you have bad wiring. A 2200 w system doesn't really require a 2nd batt either. My subs pull 1000 wrms each + my front & rears. I have single batt (yellow top), The big 3, & 1/0 ga power wire & ground. A higher output alt would be good as yours is low amps, just make sure you get one that also has good output at idle cause that's where you'll get dimming & problems. Check these out too maybe cheaper on alt. contact Iraggi Alts, or Excessive Amperage. HO quoted me $699 for mine, excessive was $400 & Iraggi was $300. I'm lucky enough to have a 190amp stock alt so making do for now. The batt & big 3 with 1/0 ga are the most important imo.

b965122

Postby b965122 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:27 pm

ok ty, but what is "big 3"? maybe I am just confused but I am not sure what u are referring to

Raz

Postby Raz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 pm

I posted it in the advice thread

Return to “FOUR - Difficult”