Question about wiring dual-voice-coil sub......

Miscellaneous Questions
nu95goat

Question about wiring dual-voice-coil sub......

Postby nu95goat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:11 pm

I have a Kicker 550.2 2-ohm stable amplifier, and I will be getting a 12" Kicker Comp CVR dual-voice-coil 2-ohm subwoofer. My question is, how do I wire the subwoofer so that it is running at 2-ohms? Do I wire it parallel? And thus use jumper wires to go from voice coil to voice coil, and from positive to positive, and negative to negative? And if so, how do I wire the voice coils to the amp? One wire to the positive on one voice-coil, and one wire to the negative on the other voice coil?

Please help me out here. I usually have a professional install my car stereo's, but I blew my old sub, and now all I have to do is install the new one. So I figured I should be able to do it on my own. Thanks for your help.

InstallGarage

Postby InstallGarage » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:56 pm

Yes run your subwoofers parallel. Hook two sets of wires together at the terminal in your box. If you have no box terminal, you hook the amplifier up directly to one set of voice coils with both sets connected.

nu95goat

Postby nu95goat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:13 pm

Ok first of all thanks for the reply. Alright, I really don't know jack about hooking subs up, so bear with me here. First of all, I am only pushing one sub with that amp. Just one 12" CVR. Second, I do have a box terminal. So, just to clarify, I go negative from the box terminal to negative on voice-coil #1. And then I go positive from the box terminal to positive on voice-coil #2, right? And then I go positive to positive and negative to negative from voice-coil #1 to voice-coil #2 with jumper wires, correct?

InstallGarage

Postby InstallGarage » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:26 pm

Go negative from the box terminal to negative on voice-coil #1. And then go positive from the box terminal to positive on voice-coil #1. And then go positive to positive and negative to negative from voice-coil #1 to voice-coil #2 with jumper wires. Hook the wire from terminal to only one channel on your amplifier.

Capone59

Postby Capone59 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm

i noe u already did it but careful cheack the amp to make sure its 2ohm stable bridged not just at eac channel.. otherwise u'll overwork the amp n in time blow it. Second if its 2ohm each coil on the sub that mean when u touch pos n neg on coil 1 to coil u drop the ohms to 1ohm. touch positive from coil 1 to neg of coil 2 to keep it at 2ohms

Return to “Miscellaneous Questions”